Thursday, June 16, 2011

"My Grandmother's Closet"


“My Grandmother’s Closet”
My grandmother’s closet held things I didn’t understand.
Things that were too big.
Shoes and purse straps and dresses
too threadbare to make public. There was wrapping paper angled
in the corners and rain nets balled in the pockets of coats…
Old makeup kits and curler sets
crowded its floor like broken headstones. 

Buried souvenirs from day trips and week-long vacations
deep in its crevices.  She also kept her overflow of sewing materials
in baskets and bags
careless and cascading among overstuffed
boxes and empty suitcases. 
Boxes of things unopened and new and forgotten or decayed. 
Something surely drew her attention away. 

She used her closet to keep secret birthday and Christmas gifts.
It was a place we rarely ventured. 
I imagine she kept these items because
she no longer
thought about them.
Collected
and amassed.

I wonder how often she thought of the things there
never moving and bearing the weight of new things.
Bearing the burden of time.
Layers of things compressed into sediment.
I suppose those things stood as a kind of archive
for her life
fossilized and hardened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.