Monday, May 14, 2012

Dead wood


If, say, a cherry wood
dresser of drawers
represents dead wood,
what then represents
a dead person?

And why should
this dresser of drawers
stand year after year
polished and precise
in a corner with clothes and things?
(Socks with holes and panty hose, a slip
from Montgomery Ward--and hand-
sewn initialed handkerchiefs, an empty
Dopp kit in one drawer, an old unsigned
love letter. [You knew, though.]
In another, a twenty-year old
construction-paper card with a crayoned
picture of you and him and us,
a crucifix.) 
________________________________


Do you remember that
sweater I got for you that one
Christmas? It has holes in it now
from being unworn and moth-eaten.
I'm sorry for that. Is this wood somehow
a dead reflection of you or just the
things you touched, of the things
that you were given by those that
have forgotten you?

I somehow don't have a word or
words to say what I just could not
say at any point even when I
whispered "I love you" and "goodnight"
and I called your name up and down
and up the stairs again and once more
because I felt lucky, I felt like you might
just hear me through your exhale of
cigarette smoke. I wondered, often, as
a child, if your breath would smell sweeter
had you been a little kinder or had smoked
a little less.  But I learned that kindness is 
neither inhaled or exhaled: it was in the lightness of
your hand on my shoulder and the circles
it made on my troubled belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.